DoroT: Mother's Thumb 妈妈手

What is Mother's Thumb/ Wrist? 什么是妈妈手?

Mother's Wrist/ De Quervain's Tenosynovitis happens when there is irritation of the tendons that extend the thumb in the surrounding sheath at the wrist. Like many new moms, I was clueless when I had this painful wrist after 3 weeks postpartum. I had difficulty in turning door knobs, lifting my baby and even wearing my bra.

The pain was excruciating and sometimes a simple movement like pinching or gripping could aggravate the symptoms and I begged for help (from my husband) most of the time.

在我坐月子第3个星期,我的右手腕一直疼痛,后来才知道那是妈妈手。简单的开门,穿内衣和抱宝宝都可以让我疼到流泪。


Finkelstein's Test

试试这个姿势就知道自己有没有得妈妈手。


Causes of De Quervain's Tenosynovitis

Unknown. However, there are several factors contributing to this like postpartum hormonal fluctuations and improper posture when lifting up the baby. Another factor could be my occupation - a dentist which uses a lot of wrist forces? ;(

Ps. My mom blamed me of washing my hands too often during my confinement period (and therefore masuk angin?) 

有许多原因导致妈妈手,其中包括产后荷尔蒙和抱宝宝姿势不对。另外也可能是我的职业(牙医)用了很多手腕的力。据说很多职业如教师,打字员都有比较大的风险。(我妈说我得月子风可是中医说不是啦)

Treatment?

I've done warm massage, acupuncture, physiotherapy and to no avail, the pain still persists until now.  Anyway, the pain intensity has reduced since I have started wearing the wrist splint. Besides, I have tried to reduce my own patient load to avoid overusing of my wrist too. The Dr says steroid injection could be effective but the pain could be recurrent if posture is not well taken care. I think I would leave that as my last resort.


我已经做了按摩,针灸,物理治疗可是疼痛还是挥之不去。所以我尽量不要用到手腕力+穿护手腕。医生说如果需要打类固醇针来消炎,不过可能效果只是暂时而已。


Some simple physio exercises could relieve the pain.

可以做这些简单的手腕伸展运动。


Advice to all new moms 

1. Beware of your posture while carrying your baby. 

2. Avoid activities which require lots of hands work after childbirth. (including of playing your handphone)

3. Try to treat this early, some of my friends even have this tendonitis during pregnancy.

4. Stay positive, seek help from your partner/ family! ;)



Any sponsorship/ ads/ review pls reach me at:
dote-on-dor@hotmail.com

Comments